Skip to main content

What is Core Training? Why Is It Important?

After Monday's post I realized that my readers needed a little more detail about some of the things I was talking about...so, yesterday I posted a YouTube video about proper lifting technique.  Today I want to go into a little more detail about core training.

I have been an exercise addict for years.  I frequently hear class instructors emphasize the importance of "core strength."  They also say that core strength is important for protecting the spine.  At some point early on in my "addiction" I remember my car being rear ended; this kind of think can result in whiplash and other such anomalies.  Yet, I did not experience any problems after the incident. I guess there is some truth to this!

Let's start by trying to understand what muscles compromise "the core." Here is a picture that might give you some idea.  The trainer's finger is pointing to the zone of the body we are discussing.  The front and back of this body zone comprise "the core."


Core training involves more than just an abdominal workout, because you want to strengthen ALL the muscles of the core, all the way around. Sit-ups and bicycles are good, but they will only do part of the job.

Follow this link to a slideshow on the Mayo Clinic website.  The slideshow has some very good examples of core exercises.  You might be surprised to see that the basic moves are not challenging; there are more advanced options to the exercises for those who want them.



Side plank...a core training exercise


I personally recommend looking for a gym that offers LesMills CXWorx.   I must confess I don't take this class often enough...it is a great workout for the core!  Best of all, you won't hesitate to wear clothes that show off those flat abs!




Sources:
wikimedia,MayoClinic LesMills.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with Chronic pain hits the big screen!

Been to the movies lately?  Jennifer Aniston is on the big screen in a recent release titled "Cake." Her character, Claire is a victim of chronic pain...she belongs to a support group, where all of the members are coming to terms with the suicide of one of their members.  Of course, she also takes pain medication and addiction is another of her problems...and of course there's more! I guess I am writing this post just to bring readers' attention to the fact that Hollywood has become aware of the crisis that is chronic pain.  This movie is a testament to that. People that don't have to live with this kind of pain don't fully understand the whole story.  Maybe this movie will shed some light on the issues. Here is the official trailer for the movie: Sources: prweb;NorthJersey.com;YouTube

Beware Of The Tick!

It's tick season, everyone! And while we all know about Lyme Disease and its lingering effects, a new problem has entered the scene. According to the CDC, the Powassan virus is another tick-borne disease that has recently been recognized. The CDC says symptoms become apparent anywhere from one week to one month after infection. Symptoms include vomiting, weakness, confusion, loss of coordination, problems with speech and seizures. Approximately half of those infected by this virus have permanent neurological symptoms, which can include muscle wasting, problems with memory, and recurrent headaches. Many people who have been infected with Powassan virus required hospitalization and sometimes even respiratory support (i.e., a respirator). Treatment is focused on supportive measures. In the meantime, preventive measures are the best way to avoid Lyme disease, Powassan virus , or any other tick-borne virus.  You can read more about preventive measures by clicking here . Sour...

The Wurn Technique: A Novel Approach to Pelvic Adhesions That Cause Pain And Infertility

One of the most baffling pain conditions women experience is chronic pelvic pain. This unfortunate problem is not only uncomfortable, but can be a cause of infertility in women. Some of the usual causes are fibroids, endometriosis and pelvic adhesions. Typically, these problems are addressed by standard modalities--surgery, medications, psychotherapy, and physical therapy among them. Recently, I came across a newer idea for treatment of pelvic pain caused by adhesions.  It's known as the Wurn Technique, and it's really a quite interesting approach.  Similar to a deep tissue massage, this method can be used to break the adhesions in the pelvic area.  This helps to reduce the pelvic pain and can even restore fertility in some cases!  The best part is that it's all drug free! For more information about the Wurn Technique, you can click here to reach the ClearPassages website. This site explains in more detail about how the technique is used and also the story...