of life and enjoys a few cookies, maybe a bottle of beer, or a new pasta dish.
Why, you ask? He says that according to others who follow this course, there is an
80/20 rule. This means that that if you adhere to the rules 80% of the time, you can allow yourself some leeway the other 20% of the time. It is important to bring this concept to the readers of this blog for a number of reasons:
1)If you have been following this blog at all,
you know there are a lot of lifestyle changes that can tremendously enhance relief from chronic pain. For a lot of people this not an easy thing to do. By opting to follow the 80/20 rule these lifestyle modifications suddenly become much easier to follow!
2)If you find you have a lot of lifestyle changes to make and it seems impossible...maybe you can set a goal of 80%. Make a list of the 10 most important things you need to change with #1 being highest priority. Then try to make these changes slowly. Be patient with yourself. When you get to #8...you rock!
3)For most of the lifestyle changes mentioned in Everyday Pain Management Ideas, following the rules 80% of the time will provide noticeable positive effects in pain relief. Every person knows their own body, and after a time will find themselves more in their comfort zone when they follow the rules then when they do not.
In my mind, the only exception to the 80/20 rule is smoking cessation. I cannot think of anyone who could do this successfully. Maybe it is possible and I just don't know it!
(Authors note: There are several books on the market about the 80/20 rule, and many websites as well. I borrowed my graphic for this post from one such book that will be available from Amazon.com as of April 2014.)
Originally posted March 7, 2014